Engineering and Architecture
Alfonso José Romero Nevado
José Luis Ramírez Falo
Technologies for Nanosystems, Bioengineering and Energy
Development of wearable electronic devices, on low-cost flexible supports, using additive fabrication techniques.
Novel wearable devices will be developed to monitor fitnes and health care. These devices, closely related to human wellbeing and showing a huge revenue growing, are nowadays usually attached to smart watches or bracelets. Also they are limited to physical sensors as accelerometers, so their application is usually limited to pedometers, pulsometers and so on. Our objective is to introduce Minos group know-how on low dimensional materials for gas sensing in this field, and design devices that will be able to collect data about enviroment (pollution, air quality, etc) and bio-markers (exhaled breath, sweat, etc.). Thus changing the casual fitness paradigm to a really in deep analisys of body activity.
Using flexible substrates will allow to attach these wearables directly to human skin or embed them in cloth fabrics. Thus not will be they just cheap and light, but it will be possible to locate them in close proximity to the target analite. Using additive fabrication methods, namely stencil and inkjet printing, will be a rapid prototyping method in a first approach. Likely, the knowledge adquiered in the process will lead to use these methods for developing devices taylor-made for a person-application.
In addition, we want to investigate very low consumption devices that even allow working without batteries. We want to investigate the possibility of integrating Energy Harvesting elements into the wearable device using commercial elements or developing new devices for this purpose.
This type of system that must monitor variables external to it, carry out a simple processing and send the data remotely, require intelligent electronic elements that can be programmed. Therefore, it is intended to prioritize a profile with knowledge of electronics, both analog and digital, and embedded systems programming.
As main tasks to be carried out, we can mention:
- Development of gas sensors that can be printed on a flexible substrate.
- Development of the electronics necessary to extract the information from the sensor, giving priority to that which can be mounted on the flexible substrate
- Programming of the embedded systems that carry out the data transmission
- Explore alternatives to carry out Energy harvesting
- Build and test different prototypes
Highly desirable attributes of the ideal candidate
* Demonstrated previous know-how in one or more of the following topics: Instrumentation, microcontrollers, measurement systems.
* Hold a Master degree, or equivalent, in: Electronic and Automatic Engineering.
* Language skills: English and Spanish.
* Specific Software skills: microcontrollers and embedded systems programming, object oriented programing.
* Personality traits: Ability to work in multidisciplinary teams.
Ethics: This project involves ethical aspects
Workplace Location: Campus Sescelades, Tarragona
37.5 hours a week
14 February 2022
|This project has received funding from the European Union's Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under the Marie Skłodowska-Curie grant agreement No. 945413|